Monday 2 March 2009

My Curse

Man: So you are the guy who lives on the 8th floor!

I looked him up and down, left to right, and right through his soul. I didn’t know him. I had never seen him before in my life.

A better translation of what he was trying to say would look something like this:

Man: So you are the black guy who lives on the 8th floor.

That made me laugh a bit. The old folks in this country are not too used to seeing non-Japanese. My building is mainly full of old people and you know how old folks are. They have way too much time on their hands. Any ripples in the water will probably be the topic of discussion for the whole week and will reach every door in the building.

From my knowledge there are only two black people living in my 10 story building apartment and both of us have moved in quite recently.

The other person is called Brassfoot. He is my homey from London. He is running a movement called Tokyo Grindhouse. He makes good music. You should check it out (links).

He is a stand up guy. I like stand up guys. The other day I tried to cut my hair by myself again. It was probably the second time I have attempted to do it by myself. I went over to his place with a patch of hair that I had missed and he was kind enough to point it out.

Not everybody is like that. Some people would let me walk around with the patches in my hair all looking like looking like a terminally ill patient that is in their final stages.

I remember the other day going to the toilet at work at around 4pm. I looked in the mirror while washing my hands and saw some broccoli in my teeth. We had eaten at 12:30ish and been back in the office since 1:00ish. During that duration I had spoke to nearly everybody in my room and even did some teamwork with another person. But obviously nobody was nice enough to point it out, or even give me the Morse code signal for “you have something stuck in your teeth”. Fucking cunts. My bad. I swore. My aim was to keep this blog clean and use zero profanity. But sometimes it just can’t be helped I guess. I will try to control myself more in the future.

I smiled at the man and said “Yes”. We both got out of the elevator. Before I knew it I was back home.

Oh man, you have got to be kidding me right? I have had a shower, brushed my teeth, gone to the shop, eaten breakfast, watched a few episodes of Dragonball Z, played guitar hero, changed Midnights tank and it is still only 6:30AM??

There have been times when I looked at it as a blessing. But recently I look at is a as mainly as a curse.

It was ok when I was young. I was fit, healthy and full of energy. But now I am a tired old man. I don’t really take good enough care of myself. I need to eat better. Start exercising again.

Everyday I wake up between 4-5AM regardless of what time I go to sleep and regardless of the day. This is my curse. I wonder if one day I will be able to experience what normal people call a "Sleep in"....

1 Show some more love?

Sugar Shoulder said...

Nice one!